Hands-down both Sara and Kate’s favorite drink. Ever. Don’t be scared of sweetened condensed milk in this drink; we’ve yet to meet someone who doesn’t love it!
1 cup sugar
6 cups cold water
4 juicy limes (see tip below)
6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1. Mix cold water and sugar very well and chill until ready to use. This step can be done ahead of time.
2. Wash limes thoroughly with soap (just use hand-dishwashing soap or regular hand soap); you need the soap to get the wax and pesticides off the limes because you’re using the whole lime. Cut the ends off the limes and then cut each lime into eighths.
3. Place half of the limes in your blender. Add half of the sugar water, place the lid on your blender, and pulse 5 times.
4. Place a fine-mesh strainer over a pitcher (the one you’ll serve the lemonade in) and pour the blended mixture through the strainer and into the pitcher. Use a spoon to press the rest of the liquid into the pitcher. Dump the pulp and residue in the strainer into the trash. Repeat with remaining limes and sugar water.
5. Whisk in sweetened condensed milk.
6. Serve immediately over lots of ice. This does not keep well, so while you can mix the sugar and water ahead of time and slice the limes, don’t mix them in the blender until you are ready to serve.
Tip: Smooth, thin-skinned limes are the juiciest and least bitter.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with Latin- or Asian-influenced dishes.