Zucchini adds moisture to this rich cake that has little bits of chocolate sprinkled throughout it. The cinnamon-sugary crust on top makes this a perfect treat to slip into a lunch box or snack on in the afternoon.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1⁄2 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1⁄2 cup sour cream
3 cups shredded zucchini
3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chips
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside. See tip at left for recommended pan sizes.
2. Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Place flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. With a stand or hand mixer beat oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs until combined and slightly fluffy, 1–2 minutes.
5. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined. Gently stir in the zucchini. Take a spoonful of the flour mixture and stir in with the chocolate chips (that will help keep them evenly distributed.) If you only have regular chocolate chips or a chocolate bar, just chop them so they’re the size of mini chocolate chips. Stir remaining flour mixture into batter and mix just until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
6. Divide the batter between the two pans and sprinkle topping over each.
7. Bake for 50–60 minutes. Set your timer for 45 minutes and then keep an eye on the loaves for the remaining time. When they’re done, a toothpick or skewer should come out without goopy batter on it and the tops will be gorgeous and cracked with sugar. Remove from oven and let them cool on a rack for 5–10 minutes and then remove from pans. You definitely have to eat a slice warm—and slathered with butter.
Tip: This recipe will make 2 very full 8-inch pans or slightly less full 9-inch pans, or you can bake one of each and the batter will fill each pan perfectly!
*Makes 2 loaves